Close Calls Demonstration Project
A voluntary, confidential demonstration program:
- Accepts close call reports online (UP and NJT, Amtrak) or by mail
- Stores confidential data
- Analyzes close calls
- Distributes de-identified reports on safety trends and corrective actions to participating organizations and FRA
- Tracks carrier reports on corrective actions to measure system impact on safety
- Evaluates and identifies ways to improve reporting system effectiveness
- Currently four operational demonstration sites; first site on-line in 2007.
Who is Involved in C3RS?
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) — sponsors and oversees the demonstration program
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) — independent third party; manages demonstration implementation and protect data confidentiality (UP and NJT only)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) — independent third party; manages demonstration implementation and protect data confidentiality (Amtrak only)
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), Volpe Center — independent third party; manages demonstration implementation and protect data confidentiality
- Railroad carriers — implements the reporting system
- Carrier employees — reports close calls
- Labor organizations — represents employees reporting close calls
- United Transportation Union (UTU)
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET)
- American Train Dispatchers Association (ATDA)
- Peer Review Team (PRT) — stakeholder representatives: oversees corrective action
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Reader®.